Welcome to Gateway To Technology
The Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Gateway To Technology (GTT) program features a project-based curriculum designed to challenge and engage the natural curiosity and imagination of students. They envision, design and test their ideas with the same advanced modeling software used by companies like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Intel and Verizon. Students will study mechanical and computer control systems; think robotics and animation. Students also explore the importance of energy, including innovative ways to reduce, conserve and produce it using solar, thermal and wind power. The knowledge that students gain and the skills they build from GTT create a strong foundation for further STEM learning in high school and beyond.
Throughout GTT, students acquire knowledge and skills in problem solving, teamwork and innovation as well as explore STEM careers. Schools implement both foundation units and may add any combination of the specialization units.
GTT, intended for grades six through eight, is designed to spark an interest in STEM subjects and prepare students for further study in high school and beyond.
This will be the main focus of 6th Grade Classes
- Automation and Robotics (A&R)
- Students trace the history, development, and influence of automation and robotics. They learn about mechanical systems, energy transfer, machine automation and computer control systems. Students use a robust robotics platform to design, build and program a solution to solve an existing problem.
- Design and Modeling (D&M)
- In this unit, students begin to recognize the value of an engineering notebook to document and capture their ideas. They are introduced to and use the design process to solve problems and understand the influence that creative and innovative design has on our lives. Students use industry standard 3-D modeling software to create a virtual image of their designs and produce a portfolio to showcase their creative solutions.
- This will be the main focus of 7th Grade Classes
- Green Architecture (GA)
Today’s students have grown up in an age of “green” choices. In this unit, students learn how to apply this concept to the fields of architecture and construction by exploring dimensioning, measuring, and architectural sustainability as they design affordable housing units using Autodesk’s® 3-D architectural design software.
This will be the main focus of 8th Grade Classes
Flight & Space (F&S)
The exciting world of aerospace comes alive through Flight and Space. Students explore the science behind aeronautics and use their knowledge to design, build, and test an airfoil. Custom-built simulation software allows students to experience space travel.
I look forward to a productive and positive year. Please make sure you have looked at the syllabus given on the first day. There is an electronic copy posted on my calendar for your convenience. Please make sure to review it so we are all on the same page for the whole school year. I want to make this course as challenging, fun, and rewarding as possible. If you have any questions about anything please feel free to contact me at any time.
J. Patrick Shell Ed.S
Phone- 843-763-1529 ext. 35963
School Hours- 7:00-3:00
Please make arrangements with me for tutoring if needed. This is so you can get the most out of the tutoring session. I am very flexible and will accommodate to meet student needs.